The children in toddlers and pre-school at Oakwood House have been having great fun with a delivery of chipped wood kindly donated to us by Able Tree Surgeons. They really enjoyed climbing to the top like they were conquering a mountain and began working collaboratively together to fill the wheel barrow and move the wood chippings to the bottom of the garden.
Forest school gives children the opportunity to learn through experience within a woodland setting hand on developing their self-esteem and confidence. All children have the opportunity to develop an inquisitive and positive relationship with the natural world.
Forest school activities:
• provide the flexibility and freedom for child-initiated, experimental learning which increases motivation and concentration
• encourage the acquisition of physical skills; co-ordination; manipulation and strength while developing an understanding of risk and building self-confidence
• increase health and well-being
• develop strong social skills & improve communication and co-operation with the ability to work in groups
• develop a sense of trust and achievement, self-esteem and confidence
• encourage problem solving and creative skills