Salary: £29,000 +
Location: Oakwood House
• To ensure that all children attending the setting are kept safe and receive rich and stimulating play experiences appropriate to their age and stage of development. • As Manager you have overall responsibility for the nursery and staff within it, ensuring they are performing to the highest standards. • Safeguarding children is your priority and you will be the Safeguarding lead. Speak Up against practices that don’t support safeguarding or our Core Values. • To recruit, support, train and appraise all staff to ensure high quality childcare practice and to develop staff teams and individual practitioners. • To effectively manage the day-to-day running of the nursery including financial operations, budgets and occupancy forecasting. • To ensure all legislation in relation to regulatory bodies, inclusion, safeguarding and health and safety is complied with and that company policies and procedures are adhered to and implemented. • Organise and deliver the Forest Schools programme throughout the year for children under 5. • Promote the Forest School and Outdoor Learning ethos with staff and parents. • Update and develop policies and procedures from the Forest School pack. This will require creative thought together with an informed understanding of statutory requirements and best practice for early years and forest school.
Childcare and Education
- Promote high standards of quality within the nurseries regarding the environment and resources for children, experiences offered to children and planning and record keeping.
- Ensure throughout the nursery there is a commitment to the Company's Core Values in all work undertaken
- Assist in the implementation of the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) curriculum.
- Ensure that each child in the nursery has up to date records of their details, attendance, day to day activities and development through learning journeys
- Promote and facilitate positive partnerships with parents/carers and other family members and be able to manage parental complaints/concerns in an efficient timely manner.
- Support the development of good practice with regard to special needs and inclusion.
- Ensure SEN needs are identified early and are met with respect, care and professionalism.
- Work with the Childcare and Education team to evaluate the quality of childcare and education within the setting and to identify and address areas needing development.
- Lead the team in ensuring Safeguarding Children procedures are followed always and in the event of an allegation being made
- Ensure the nutritional needs of the children are met and that Food Safety Regulations are complied with.
- Promote and facilitate multi-agency working with area SENCOs, advisory teachers, health professionals etc
- Establish, develop and maintain highly professional working relationships with relevant Local Authority Departments, regulatory bodies and other outside agencies for the benefit of the children and nurseries.
- Comply with the statutory framework for the EYFS or relevant statutory regulations and company policies and procedures at all times.
- Remain abreast of current developments in childcare and education policy and practice.
- Ensure that staff are following the key person procedures in line with company policy and EYFS.
- Ensure children are provided with an environment where they value and respect different cultures, religion, language and disability and ensure that toys and games reflect this within the setting.
- Audit children’s observations ensuring they provide an accurate, detailed reflective account of the child’s current development needs and ensure staff are providing developmentally appropriate planning and challenging next steps.
- Organise and deliver the Forest Schools programme throughout the year for children under 5.
- Update and monitor risk assessments for the setting and tools used.
- Ensure health & safety procedures relating to children and staff are observed.
- Manage any fire and tool activities safely following the procedures and risk assessments carefully.
- Check and Maintain tools and the safety bag.
- Promote the Forest School and Outdoor Learning ethos with staff and parents.
- Keep up to date evaluations of all children attending the sessions and produce reports twice a year.
- Update and develop policies and procedures from the Forest School pack. This will require creative thought together with an informed understanding of statutory requirements and best practice for early years and forest school.
- Ensure all outdoor clothing is stored correctly and maintained
Health and Safety
- Be responsible for health, safety and cleanliness throughout the nursery.
- Ensure the general cleanliness of the children at all times
- Adhere to all Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Be fully aware of all emergency and security procedures e.g. fire precautions, security
- Operate the highest standard of hygiene and cleanliness
- Implement Health and Safety polices with in the nursery. Audit, evaluate and manage risk and ensure that any actions are passed to staff and implemented immediately.
- Be responsible for first aid in the setting ensuring the nursery remains compliant in regards to suitably trained staff with relevant first aid qualifications.
- Ensure all daily checklists are completed on time and accurately, such as room opening and close, outdoor, bathroom and kitchen checklists
- Maintain the accident book in accordance with company policy and legislation - ensure all relevant reports are submitted to RIDDOR and OFSTED where appropriate
- Undertake and maintain records of regular risk and COSHH assessments
- Promote the nursery to current parents and potential customers.
- Market and sell the nursery and be the main point of contact at the beginning or end of each day.
- Provide accurate monitoring information.
- Provide occupancy and forecasting overviews and marketing analysis.
- Facilitate inspections by regulatory bodies and implement any recommendations.
- Complete all office based duties with assistant from an Administrator.
- Administer, monitor and report on expenditure within agreed budgets and maintain petty cash systems
- Prepare staff information for staff monthly salaries
- Be responsible for the invoicing, collection and recording of nursery fees and debts.
- Monitor staff costs with regard to budget projections.
- Manage the nursery KPIs to ensure all targets are exceeded.
- Carry out the recruitment and induction of new staff.
- Ensure Safer Recruitment practices are followed at all times
- Maintain accurate staff records.
- Manage your Senior Team and organise training/meetings to keep them up to date on business changes and best practice
- Appraise and manage the team keeping them motivated whilst also addressing any issues.
- Support and supervise all staff with their day to day duties.
- Hold regular supervisions and appraisals with all staff and ensure PDP’s are updated regularly.
- Identify training needs to meet the development needs of the children; develop a staff training plan and evaluate training undertaken.
- Undertake or assist with staff issues such as Disciplinary and Grievance investigations and meetings, absence management, flexible working requests in accordance with the companies policies and procedures
- Manage rotas, annual leave requests and absence reporting to ensure the nursery is adequately staffed
Marketing & Communication
- Develop and promote parental partnership and involvement.
- Ensure good communication between all users of the nursery.
- Establish and maintain communication links with outside agencies and local schools.
- Co-ordinate / lead regular staff meetings, planning meetings and parents meetings stay and plays etc
- Plan and lead fundraising events.
- Develop and lead educational workshops for parents and local community.
- Ensure regular news stories feature on the company website, social media and local and national press.
- Proactively market the nursery to meet these objectives, ensuring parent show around's are informative and followed up to ensure enquires are converted into bookings
- Ensure that the nursery receives excellent outcomes in internal audits and those of external authorities such as Ofsted, Environmental Health etc
- Be responsible for and oversee all administrative duties associated with the management of the facility.
- Organise and attend, out of working hours activities, e.g. training, parents’ meetings, open days, children’s Christmas party, regular planning/staff meetings and charity events.
- Use the computer effectively for storing information by using the nursery software system.
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures.
- Undertake any other duties as reasonably requested by management.
- Ensure that following any OFSTED visits, any recommendations made by the inspectors are actioned.
- Ensure that the setting is clean and welcoming, with well-kept educational resources.
- Review and monitor occupancy levels to ensure they are maintained to maximum capacity.
- Overall responsibility to maintain ratios and statutory/welfare requirements within the nursery
- To ensure that the nursery is fully properly equipped and ensure that orders are generated on time.
- To support nursery assistants, students and volunteers.
- Carry out reasonable tasks as requested by your manager.
- To keep completely confidential any information regarding the children, their families or other staff .
- To be aware of the high profile of the company and to uphold its standards at all times, both in work hours and outside and to behave in such a way that would not bring the Company into disrepute.
- To be an ambassador for Portland Nurseries.
- Portland Nurseries is an equal opportunities employer committed to safeguarding children. DBS check essential